Grieving with hope…a mother’s perspective

24 Jan

I miss Isaac.  I miss him so very much.

I miss his creations.

I miss him waking up and dragging the laundry bag down the stairs faithfully every day.

I miss him trying to occupy David.

I miss him playing with children of all ages……he loved children and could occupy them so well.

I miss him wearing shorts in the winter.

I miss him dressing up as a cowboy or a soldier or a combination.

I miss him utilizing items for other purposes, like a bathrobe for a civil war coat, a basketball hoop set up for a cannon, and others.

I miss him wearing either a civil war or cowboy hat or a handkerchief on a regular basis.

I miss his interest in history, one of my favorite subjects.

I miss him fighting me for salt and vinegar chips, mashed potatoes, and other foods that we both enjoyed together.

I miss his fluffy hair when it would grow out.

I miss his hand holding mine when we would pray.

I miss his hugs.

I miss him fussing at the children for slopping while they ate.

I miss his ability to see right from wrong.

I miss him saying out loud what I was thinking.

I miss him sitting beside Andy in the church pew, flipping his Bible pages, following along to our pastor’s sermon.

I miss him pretending he was our pastor and holding church service in our front room.

I miss his heart for others.  For example, giving his beloved Thomas battery operated train to some other boys to bless them like he was blessed, giving of all his money he had saved to Mission India’s Bible clubs with no hesitation, drawing or coloring pictures for others, giving his money to our new pastor and his wife when they visited, and many other examples too.

I miss his smile and his laughter.

I miss being his mom and teacher.

But most of all,

I. Just. Miss. Him.

I love my boy and will forever miss him, but there is good news and hope.   You see, Isaac had a childlike faith that Jesus Christ was God’s son that He was sent to die on the cross for his sins, past, present, and future.  Praise the Lord for God’s provision for us so that we may see our loved ones that were promoted to heaven.  All we have to do is believe this too, a free gift from God!  We do not need to do anything, just believe!  I miss Isaac terribly, but my hope is that I will see him again and, for now, I hold dearly to that!  May you experience that hope too!

A grieving mom with hope,

Brenda

Posted by on January 24, 2015 in Grief

Tags: , , ,

16 responses to “Grieving with hope…a mother’s perspective

January 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM

My heart hurts for you. I read every word. Soaking in everything you miss is heartbreaking. I know that deep sense of loss too well. I have been thinking about you and thankful that you posted here. Every day is one step closer to seeing our beloved children. Prayers for you, my friend. Cheryl

January 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Thank you, Cheryl, for your kind words of encouragement and for your prayers. I am so glad to hear from you . Sending hugs and prayers for you too.

2. etcher101

January 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM

That was a lovely post, you put my heartbreak very well. I’m so sorry for your loss.

January 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for commenting. I am sorry for your loss too. This journey is not easy, but if we have that hope of seeing our loved ones, we can hold on. One day at a time……

January 25, 2015 at 5:10 PM

A hope that will not disappoint.

4. Betty

January 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Brenda and Andy, All of your comments of Isaac have brought back many many memories of your dear son. He truly was a treasure. I am happy to see your progress and growth in the Lord.

January 26, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Thank you for your kind comments, Betty. Hoping all is well your way. Blessings to you.

5. Claire

January 31, 2015 at 6:51 PM

I read this last week and I cried. And I’ve just reread it and I’m crying. I’m so sorry you have so much pain to deal with. Sending prayers and hugs your way.xx

February 3, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Thank you, Claire, for your kind words, prayers, and hugs. They mean so much to me.

6. Debbie

February 1, 2015 at 5:14 PM

What a beautiful post. I know that you had to little time with him, but it was quality time that everyone got to share.
    I saw a post on facebook in the past week that said that cardinals are the spirit of our love ones looking in on us. I know that Isaac is looking down on you and waiting for the day that you will all be in heaven together.
    I have been so blessed to know your family.
    Thanks and may God continue to bless you and your family.

February 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Oh, Debbie, I can hardly wait to see Isaac again! Thank you for sharing and for your kind words. Blessings.

7. Debra Straub

February 1, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I wanted to thank you and the family for the wonderful audio book for Christmas. I was having a bad Sunday a few weeks ago and got the audio book out. I cried and felt so blessed after listening to it. It really lifted my spirit. I have it on my headboard so I have it handy when I feel down. I miss seeing Andy at work, but know that I am in your thought and prayers. I am slowly feeling better, but still have very little energy. I know that there is a reason for my being home and I’m trusting in God to show me how to turn this into a blessing for him.

Hope that everyone is healthy and doing good with school. I do miss the hearing about what the kids are doing and the joy that they bring to you. Jim and I have our first grandchild and she is a blessing to us. It is amazing to see her grow.

Bless you both for being in my life. Debbie

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 17:06:28 +0000 To: dlstraub@hotmail.com

February 3, 2015 at 1:31 PM

So glad to hear from you, Debbie. I am so glad you enjoyed the audio, too. Our family really enjoys them and they have such good messages. We do think of you often and want you to know that :-). Congratulations on your first grandchild! Sending blessings and prayers and hope to hear from you again.

8. Claire

February 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I’ve just read all the comments you have. What a wonderful ministry you have reaching out to others who are hurting just like you. I just wanted to pop by once more and say you are in my prayers. Every time I think of you I lift you up to the Lord, the giver of peace.xx

February 15, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Thank you so much, Claire. I appreciate your encouragement and prayers so very much. Blessings to you and your family.