Homesick

22 Sep

CCI04222011_00001Today Isaac would have turned 13 years old.  It seems so cliché to say “it’s hard to believe”, but those words describe how I feel  This is the third birthday anniversary that we will commemorate with Isaac in Heaven.  So many times it seems like just last year that he left us, while other times it seems so long ago.

I wonder what he would look like at 13 years old.  Would he have facial hair and be shaving?  What would his voice sound like?  How muscular would he be?  Would he like his hair buzzed or longer?

I also wonder if he would still be interested in trains.  How much historical knowledge would have he accumulated about the American Civil War?  Would he still enjoy the outdoors?  What type of work would he be interested in doing?  What other interests would he have?

Finally, I wonder where he would be spiritually.  Would he be following Jesus with all of his heart?  Would he still be concerned about others being saved?

We don’t have to concern ourselves with these things anymore because Isaac is safe in Heaven.  Our spiritual training with him was completed suddenly on April 18, 2011, when it was his time to go home.  I imagine the day that I go home.  After I greet my Savior Jesus and bow at his feet, I expect to see Isaac standing close behind him with that big smile on his face ready to give me one of his hearty hugs.

I’m homesick…

I miss you buddy, so very much.  Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I cry when I remember all of our times together.  How I long so much just to see you, hold you, and laugh with you.  Happy birthday, my dear sweet son.

Every passing day brings us one step closer.

Blessings to you all,

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Homesick

1. Mary

September 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I felt your loss and understand those questions regarding your loved one. Thank God for the Blessed Hope that one day we shall see them again. Please visit my post regarding my loss loved one. Blessings! http://perezmemoir.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/the-little-green-dress/

September 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Thank you Mary. I read your story and was left breathless. I cannot imagine the pain that you experienced as a nine year-old girl losing her younger sister. Yes, praise God for our Blessed Hope!

2. Pam

September 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have not forgotten Isaac. He has been on my mind all week. I too wondered what he would look, how tall he would be….would he still be interested in Civil war stuff. Would he want to be a guide or speaker at Gettysburg?? I image he would still be the helper in the family. Happy Birthday Isaac! Missing that smile
    with love,
    Pam

3. Michael Cartwright

September 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My heart is with you today Andy…Blessings to you and your family, and happy birthday to Isaac!
    God bless,
    Michael

4. Rebecca Carney - One Woman's Perspective

September 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yes…homesick…for the day we can hug our children once again…hug our parents and those who have gone ahead of us. I, too, am thankful for the hope and surety we will see them again…and what a great day it will be!! Thinking of you today…and your precious boy who is waiting for you…

September 24, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thank you Rebecca for your encouraging thoughts.

September 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM

My heart is with you in the questions you ask and the hope that shines through your longing. I’m sure Isaac is as eager for the reunion as you are. God be with you.

6. SusanB

September 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Bittersweet; abysmal sadness mixes with peace that your son is safe and you will see him again. Andy, I want to bestow upon you the Liebster (Dearest) Award because I think your blog is inspirational! http://headinmyhands.com/liebster-award/ If the link isn’t working you’ll have to cut and paste it into your browser. The questions I answered are the ones for you to answer as well. Send me a message on my home page when you have posted, no rush.

September 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Thank you Susan for the comment and nomination. I will check out the link when I have some time.