Coincidence?

18 Jan

I believe that God is intimately involved in the details of our lives.  I don’t believe that He is some sort of 161cosmic puppeteer, but I do believe that He works in mysterious ways and could even provide signs to encourage His children.  Something happened yesterday that I am “choosing to see” as divine encouragement rather than just mere coincidence.  You may choose to see otherwise.

Please allow me to provide some background first.  Our son Isaac really liked trains.  Someone who worked for Norfolk Southern gave him a gift bag of various train-related items, which included the “Toys for Tots” train hat that he frequently wore and a bumper sticker that read “I brake for trains”.  Isaac had placed the sticker on the side of one of our toy containers.  Below is a link to an example of that sticker:

Yesterday I was faced with a rather difficult situation.  As I was driving and asking God for wisdom and that He would be glorified through me in handling the situation, I imagined a conversation in Heaven.  I imagined Isaac watching these events unfold along-side of God.  I then imagined that God told him “you see, your dad’s heart is to glorify me in how he conducts himself”.  I finally visualized a satisfied smile across Isaac’s face as if to say “I’m proud of you dad – keep going on for God”.

As I closed my prayer, I intellectualized that it is nice to imagine such a conversation but I can’t be sure that such a one would take place.  Actually, I can still not wholly make that claim.  However, immediately after closing my prayer, a white truck passed me on the left – and guess what bumper sticker was pasted on its tailgate!

So, a divine sign or merely coincidence?

Posted by on January 18, 2013 in Christian Studies

Tags: , , , ,

7 responses to “Coincidence?

January 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I’m often amazed by how much our two boys have in common, including their love for trains. Did we just connect online by coincidence? Did Jesse just happen to want to have his picture taken with me and his mom the day before his death? Knowing how valuable those pictures are now to us, I too, choose to believe the hand of God was at work in spite of my skeptical fleshly nature.

2. Bonnie (Coit) Dean

January 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Coincidence?…I think not.

3. mercifulwords

January 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM

That is a beautiful example of God’s love!

“Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted.” Its true! He really does comfort us in our sorrows, and He has the most creative ways to hit the spot. I love your story. It comforts me too.

4. Travis

January 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

As you awake to Gods connection to your / sub con / science you will enjoy him more and more like the snowball at the top of the hill rolling down? God bless all of us! God blessing himself thru all who awake in there moment. Make the most of earth while you and him are here. The sooner the better. Meaning I feel God wants sooner because of the darkness that is looming, but the darkness does not effect those (US) who see. Lets Fight on!!!!!!! Fight for the ones who need it!!!! Fight in a way that is one with Jesus & God and the I am! Love you all Travis Cook

5. Ken and Nan

January 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

No question in my mind. Gave me chills hearing the story. You and the family are always in my heart.

6. SusanB

January 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

God gave you a hug.

7. Yahobahne

January 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM

AHA! I certainly don’t think it was a coincidence. Father God has a sense of humor! I love this story and God does honor our intimate relationship with Him. Thank you for sharing.