Better Than I

24 Sep

or “Letting Go the Need to Know Why”

The other night we watched Joseph – King of Dreams.  This is an animated movie that is adapted from the Biblical account of Joseph, son of Jacob (renamed Israel by God), as found in the book of Genesis.  The customary artistic license is taken with this movie, but nevertheless it closely resembles the Biblical account.

About 2/3 of the way through the film, there is a musical number titled “Better Than I”.  The song underscores images of Joseph’s time in prison intermixed with flashbacks of his life, especially his trials and betrayal by his brothers.  It is really a song about surrendering to God and allowing Him to teach us through our circumstances, while at the same time releasing our need to understand the “why” of our circumstances.  The song touched the hearts of both Brenda and me.

A significant portion of our journey through grief can be consumed with trying to understand “why” this tragedy happened.  Although we ask God, there really isn’t a clear answer.  We know that death happens to us all and, according to Scripture, God has appointed each of us our time.  In a similar manner, Joseph did not appear to understand the meaning of his trials while he was experiencing them.  It was only after many years, preserving Egypt, and reuniting with his brothers that he was able to say:

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. (Gen 50:20)

So, let us press on in faith, fulfilling the mission that God has for us.  Let us turn our grief around and reach out to others who are hurting.  Finally, let us lay our strong desire to understand at the altar and trust God with our questions.  If He reveals anything to us, we can thank Him.  Otherwise, we can be assured that He knows better than us.

Lord, give me the strength to do what I say.

Meanwhile, enjoy the song:

Blessings,

Posted by on September 24, 2012 in Grief, Spiritual and Emotional

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Better Than I

September 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Lord, give me also the strength to lay it down before you in faith as you give both Andy and Brenda the strength.

September 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Amen. This is not easy to do. I will pray for you.

September 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Reblogged this on Threshold of Heaven and commented:
    I have been greatly blessed by this family and their faith as they pass through the valley of grief.

3. Lizzy

September 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Thank you for this. We always wonder why and fill our days with that question. Thank you for reminding us that God knows better than we do and He will take care of everything. I also want to thank you for the blessing you have been to Peter and his family. I too look forward to meeting your son Isaac 🙂

September 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Thank you very much for your kind comment. Peter and his family have also blessed us greatly through their writings. It blesses us to know that we can help others through this journey, hopefully pointing the way to God. You’ve touched our hearts by wanting to meet our son Isaac.

4. jesusknowsmyname

September 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

This was beautiful and an encouragement to all believers in every area of their life. Resting in the arms of the One who has all the answers is where I want to be.

September 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Thank you. I pray that we all can learn to rest in Him.

5. Michael Cartwright

September 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Many blessings to you Andy. This truth is hard to come to in times of the unexplainable, but it is the truth that we must find our way to. As I sit and witness your walk from afar…not even knowing you personally, I am encouraged by your faith.

Michael

September 26, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Thank you brother for your great encouragement. All glory goes to my God and Savior, for without Him I am nothing. Please know that I respect your godly wisdom and am encouraged by your faith also.