Handling Grief – Time and Clarity

07 Oct

“Time heals all wounds” says the popular cliché.  I don’t know if time really heals but we are finding that it brings clarity.  I believe that God heals the wounded heart, according to His Word:

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; (Isa 61:1, emphasis mine).

As time moves on, we begin to reason, think, meditate, pray, discern and trust with increasing clarity.  The doubt and condemnation still creep in, however, and therefore we find ourselves “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” (2Co 10:5).  We receive comfort and strength to stand on the truth of God’s Word and also to understand His heart as He has revealed it to us:

Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? (Eze 18:23)

For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye. (Eze 18:32)

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2Pe 3:9)

For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. (Jas 2:13)

Over time, we have believed more in God’s mercy and His desire that those whom He created would repent from their ways, turn their hearts to Him and not be eternally separated (die, perish) from their loving Creator.  What our enemy has meant for evil, God is working for His good (see Gen 50:20 and Rom 8:28).  As the time span grows from the birth of our grief, the noise of the initial voices fades and we hear more clearly the voice of truth.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. (Jer 29:11-13 – My note: Though written to the kingdom of Judah for after its 70 years of Babylonian captivity was completed, I believe it is a revelation of God’s heart towards those whom He loves.)

Posted by on October 7, 2011 in Grief, Spiritual and Emotional

Tags: ,

7 responses to “Handling Grief – Time and Clarity

1. Elizabeth Martin

October 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Thank you, Andy and Brenda. I am encouraged to see your spiritual growth and clarity. God mends the broken hearted. And He will use you to help and encourage others.

Love and prayers,

• ephesians516

October 15, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Betty: Thank you for sharing your encouragement with us! We miss you and hope to see you soon :-).

2. Rebecca Carney

October 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I printed and framed this verse for Jason many years ago. It sat on a shelf in his room.

The Scripture reference Isaiah 61:1 is on Jason’s headstone. “The Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He sent me to bind up the brokenhearted.” (This is the Bible verse you see most in conjunction with the name-meaning of “Jason.”)

My husband and I felt, from the moment Jason was born, that he had a special purpose for God in this world. I don’t understand why Jason was taken from us. It still seemed like he had so much more to do. Sometimes there are no answers to the questions.

• ephesians516

October 15, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Thank you for sharing the relationship between the meaning of these verses and the life of your son, Jason. We are choosing to believe the God’s eternal purposes may not be evident in what we immediately see and experience in this physical reality. Just as it seemed to you that Jason had so much more to do, we wonder why Isaac was taken before he barely had a chance to start. We believe that God is using Isaac’s life even beyond this realm to impact others, just as He may use your son’s also. We hope that when we get to heaven we will get to see the eternal impact, although we may see the results immediately in this life. I hope that this is comforting and even makes sense. Wishing you blessings and reassurance…

3. Michael Cartwright

October 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Andy,

As I walk day to day, clarity goes in and out. Some moments have a strange clear thought to them and others leave me in disarray…I pray it is the one step back two steps forward theory.

This world is full of illusions and as we look to the Lord for comfort and resolution He gives us a glimmer of the promise of His love. I use the word “glimmer” because I know this world cannot express the full extent of what He has to offer.

As we go along, I know our progress will continue onward as we keep reaching for the Lord in front of us.

Thanks and God bless,
    Michael

4. Martha Goudey

October 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Andy, I just read through your blog for the past hour. I was deeply moved by your writing and the recounting of these last five months of grief and shock and healing. My prayers go out to you and your family in the midst of your loss. May your hearts be healed, always holding the memory of your beautiful child. I also pray that the inspiration of your words and testimony reach the hearts of other grieving people, as they have mine.

• ephesians516

October 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Dear Martha: Thank you for your prayers and condolences. We are thankful and blessed that our words have touched your heart. It is our desire that God would use them to touch others’ lives as well.