One month ago…

18 May

…it was Monday, April 18, the day our lives changed.  That morning, I decided to take the afternoon off of work to finish drying out the basement from torrential rains that occurred on Saturday, April 16.  I thank God that, in His providence, I was home at the moment our lives changed.  On my morning commute to work, I stopped at Lowe’s.  I remember praying in the parking lot for God to provide me exactly what I needed.  When I walked through the doors, there was our pastor!  Once again, God’s providence intervened, for we would come to lean on the support of our pastor and his wife during that evening and the following weeks, including today.  After a brief conversation, I proceeded to the appropriate aisle and found the very last air mover on the floor.  I purchased it along with a new dehumidifier and proceeded to my job.

While I was at work, Brenda and the children enjoyed a good day at home.  They completed their morning school work.  After lunch, while “the littles” were napping, Isaac and Isabella had some “free” time.  Isaac sat in the education/family room drawing pictures.  On the Internet, Brenda found an old radio broadcast titled “Son of Man”.  On the broadcast, four different personalities read the four gospel accounts of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Again, the providence of God that these were some of the last words that his heart meditated on this side of eternity.  Isaac listened to them as he drew and colored some ships.  He wrote the word “dock” on his picture, however he wrote a “b” instead of a “d” (he was known to reverse his letters).  Brenda kind-heartedly pointed out to him that his brain had that “blip” again, to which he chuckled.  Isaac then noted how all four of the gospels said the same thing even though they were written by different people at different times.  Afterwards, he listened to a brief audio version of “Robinson Crusoe” which likely sparked his adventurous imagination.

When I arrived home early afternoon, my wife and children were excited to see me (and I them).  Isaac, Isabella and I then drove over to our neighbor to load wood from a tree that he cut down.  We then unloaded the wood at our house.  Afterwards, I remember seeing Isaac carving on a branch with the utility tool that his friend Aiden gave to him on Saturday.  I unloaded my Lowe’s purchases into our kitchen and unpacked the air mover while Brenda prepared supper.  We looked out the window and saw Isaac climbing the tree adjacent to our playground.  He yelled “look at me” and I replied that “I’ll have to help you down from there.”  I then told Isaac that we had a big box for him to build a castle that he wanted to build, to which he replied “alright.”  Sometime shortly after that exchange, he got down from that tree and made his way to his hideout in one of the pine trees at the top of the backyard.

During the next several minutes, I took the air mover down into the basement and got it set up and running.  The children were between playing in the house and the backyard while Brenda and I were also in and out.  I then decided to run an errand and called for the children.

That is all I can write about it.  I am getting that knot in my stomach again.

We are thankful that the Lord blessed us with a good morning and afternoon together.  We are thankful that some of the last words Isaac heard were the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We are thankful that Isaac believed in Jesus Christ with the understanding of a ten-year-old boy.

Still hoping (Rom 8:24-25),

PS:  We miss you buddy.

Tags:

9 responses to “One month ago…

May 18, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I only have a minute, but wanted you to know how courageous you are being. It isn’t easy to write such a portion of your life down, especially such an devastating one.

I know that you have touched many by your life story.

When I wrote down about the day that our Caleb died it was healing in a way. I pray the same for you.

With love and Hope,

2. Elizabeth Mmartin

May 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Thank you for sharing. Your post filled in some of the “holes” for me. There were some wonderful precious memories of that day. May the Lord sustain you as you go through the grieving process. He is our hope as well as He was Isaac’s.

Love and Prayer

3. Terry & Jessica Fritz

May 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We miss you SO much too, Isaac..

(We) Sing the wondrous love of Jesus;
    sing his mercy and his grace.
    In the mansions bright and blessed
    he’ll prepare for us a place.

When we all get to heaven,
    what a day of rejoicing that will be!
    When we all see Jesus, (and Isaac!)
    we’ll sing and shout the victory!

While we walk the pilgrim pathway,
    clouds will overspread the sky;
    but when traveling days are over,
    not a shadow, not a sigh.

Let us then be true and faithful,
    trusting, serving every day;
    just one glimpse of him in glory
    will the toils of life repay.

Onward to the prize before us!
    Soon his beauty we’ll behold;
    soon the pearly gates will open;
    we shall tread the streets of gold.

Looking forward to Heaven more and more each day,
    Praying for strength and hope, to come your way.
    Love, Terry & Jess & children xxoxoox

4. Pam

May 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Thanks for being so brave to share that last day with us. Thinking about you all, especially today.

5. Carol

May 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful day to have together as a family as you said & those broadcasts sound like a wonderful thing to listen to and draw. He was a sweet blessing to you I can tell. I am sure he is making Heaven even brighter up there. I hope you find comfort and peace as you wait until the time you get to reunite together in Heaven. It is so hard when a loved one goes on before us. I am praying for each member of your family!
    There is a song I thought of called If you Only Knew and it says about a loved ones perspective that is in Heaven and it says If You Only Knew how wonderful Heaven is you would not grieve. I know you long to hold him but I hope you find comfort in knowing that Isaac will not have to suffer from this world and he has a Heavenly view- where the sun always shines. I only write these things to try to comfort you. I know your heart must ache because my mother’s heart aches for you. Jesus loves us though and will care for His whole flock. I am praying for your hard times through this.

6. Patty Grabill

May 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Andy I just wanted you to know how often I think of Isaac.
    Today I was busy cleaning my disorganized and messy office and I was compelled to return to your site. Selfishly I needed to see if you all were alright, of course you’re not alright but your words are very moving and very real. I have read many times that journaling this way is very healing.
    I commend you for your strength and your faith, as I don’t know if I would be as strong and as faithful as you. In my prayers I have prayed for you and Brenda and the children but I have made a special intention for you and Brenda because I can only imagine that this would be the ultimate challenge.
    Isaac’s smiling face with his eyes as big as saucers, comes in to my thoughts often and I feel his spirit strong and courageous just as he was. He was a remarkable boy and I loved the stories and pictures you shared here. I also thought of Brenda on Mother’s Day and knew in my heart (as a Mother) how difficult the day would be for her, so I prayed for her and thought of her throughout the day.
    I still see Isaac wearing that Toys For Tots hat and coming through the door way with a smile worth more than anything money could ever buy!

7. Susie

May 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Thought of you often today. You are in my prayers.

“When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path.” Psalm 142:3

8. ephesians516

May 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Please forgive me for not replying individually to all of the previous comments on this post. I don’t know that I have the strength. The words and memories that you shared touched us so deeply and brought tears to our eyes (that is a good thing!). Please know that our strength comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth (Psalm 121). We give all glory to God for His grace and mercy, even in this dark valley. If I may quote Corrie ten Boom: “There is no pit so deep that God’s love is not deeper still.” Amen.

9. Donald

May 27, 2011 at 10:30 PM

We love you all and are praying for you intently