An Unexpected Mother’s Day Blessing

08 May

Saturday afternoon, Isabella was busy preparing several surprises for Mother’s Day.  She is hopeful that her gifts and crafts will bring smiles to Mommy’s face.  Brenda has been having a difficult time with Mother’s Day approaching.  Isaac was our first child to see the light of day and therefore allowed her to assume the title of “mother”.

The other day, Brenda was going through Isaac’s artwork and found the following picture for the first time, not knowing that he had painted it for her:

We also found one of the last pictures that Isaac drew and gave to David:

We thank God for these little blessings and others that He has kindly showed us over the past several weeks.

Finally, Brenda also leafed through Isaac’s home school binder.  She recalled his last report about our trip to The National Civil War Museum (which he dictated and Mom typed):

My Trip to the National Civil War Museum

By Isaac McCleaf

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 , my family made a trip to the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg Pennsylvania.   It was very windy that day.   When we arrived inside there were people everywhere.   We then went to the elevator and got our pictures taken.   We took the elevator to the second floor to start our tour.

I had three things that I liked on the second floor.   The glass terrariums of the Battle of Antietam and the Battle of Shiloh were my most favorite.   I liked looking at the soldiers of the navy Calvary and the infantry .  I liked the weapons especially the cannon at Fort Sumter.

Then we went down to the first floor.   I liked seeing General Lee’s Bible and his hat cord.   Then I liked seeing Abraham Lincoln’s wallpaper and the lantern he would have used on his farm.

We went to the lobby to go to the gift shop.   We walked around there a little bit.   Then I decided I would get a pack of soldiers and a book with stickers on how a civil war soldier would look like.   As we were heading out the door we heard someone shouting.   Dad checked the time list to see what it was.   We found out it was what it would be like volunteering in the Civil War.   Then I went to try it out.

I learned about being a volunteer.   A reenactor taught us how to line up in three single files and how to stand at attention.   He gave us a union dollar bill.    Then he told us to say goodbye to our parents for pretend.

When we came back, they had wooden rifles to practice shooting.   Then I realized something, there were six more children that didn’t do the first part!   I think they came just because they got to use the wooden rifles!   A reenactor taught us to stand and present arms, how to load a gun, how to march on right hand face, and then left hand shoulder arms.   Then it was over and I went back to my family.   We then watched civil war soldiers playing music and using a wooden doll to dance.    Then we went home.  I really liked that day!

8 responses to “An Unexpected Mother’s Day Blessing

1. Aunt Barb & Uncle Jim

May 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Such a full life Isaac lived in his short 10 years. The love for one another in your family is so touching. My wish would be that every child in this world could experience the life and love that Isaac had with his family. Brenda, I would like to wish you a “Happy Mother’s Day” as you are a special mother in God’s eyes (and our eyes also) May God Bless you and continue to give you the strength you need to continue on. We love you, Aunt Barb & Uncle Jim

• ephesians516

May 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Dear Aunt Barb & Uncle Jim,

Thank you for the encouraging words. We are realizing that God used Isaac to teach us so much about ourselves during these past 10 years. We miss him so much and life is so different without his vibrant personality in our home. God is blessing us and giving us just enough strength to continue each day. Thanks again and may God bless you.

(Please know how much I appreciated those encouraging words. Love, Brenda)

2. Elizabeth Mmartin

May 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Thank you for sharing Isaac’s life with us. He had a very full 10 years, thanks to his loving parents to provided and shared opportunities with him, esp. the gospel.

He truly was a special young man and you have many memories that are beautiful.

The Lord’s grace is sufficient and will carry you through.

Love and Prayers

• ephesians516

May 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Thank you Betty for the encouragement. “The Lord’s grace is sufficient and will carry you through” – how very true. We are learning to rely on and trust in Him more than ever.

3. Joellen

May 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Those little pictures drawn with such love are a treasure. I’m so glad that you found them:)

Love to you all,
    Jo

• ephesians516

May 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Thank you for seeing them as the treasure that they are to us.

4. rusticblue

July 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM

That is the most beautiful “to Mom” picture I think I’ve ever seen. Thank you for sharing it here. I am so glad I’ve had the pleasure of meeting your Isaac through all you have shared on your blog. His personality really shines through! Your family is a blessing to so many who have arrived at your site. I hope knowing this brings some comfort and even joy to your hearts.

“Those we love are with the Lord,
    and the Lord has promised to be with us.
    If they are with Him,
    and He is with us,
    they cannot be faraway.”

Peter Marshall

• ephesians516

July 28, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Thank you for your encouraging comment. Your words meant so much to us and are a source of comfort and joy to our hearts. We pray that God continues to use the testimony of Isaac’s life to reach and bless others.